FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball team won both ends of a doubleheader in walk-off fashion against Albright on the Blazers' senior day. Hood won the opener 3-2 in eight innings and claimed the second game 7-6.
Sophia Leaman drove in the winning run in the opener, then pitched a complete game for the win in the nightcap. Maddy Collins drew a bases-loaded walk, her school-record tying third base on balls of the contest, in the second game for the win. Kayli Paugh tossed a complete game for the win in game one and homered in the second game.
Hood 3, Albright 2 (8 innings)
- A two-out single by Leaman in the bottom of the eighth knocked in Caitlin Gosline from second to break a 2-2 deadlock for the walk-off win.
- Gosline singled with one out and moved to second on a walk by Erfurdt.
- Hood tied the game at 2-2 with a run in the seventh. Erfurdt singled with one out, moved to second on an error and third on a wild pitch before scoring on a base hit by Jasmine Webster with two outs.
- The Blazers' first run came in the second inning to open the scoring. Kaitlin Barron hit a two-out double and scored on a single by Katelyn Long for a 1-0 lead.
- A solo homer by Camille Sears in the fourth tied the game and the Lions took the lead in the fifth on a bases-loaded walk by Stephanie Pomante.
- Gosline reached base three times via two singles and a walk. Barron doubled and walked twice. Erfurdt and Long each singled and walked.
- Paugh outlasted Albright's Riley Gerenda. Paugh pitched around six hits and two walks, striking out four in the win. Gerenda took the loss, allowing three runs, two earned, on eight hits and five walks.
- Jessica Rodriguez and Stephany Courtney had two hits apiece for the Lions.
Hood 7, Albright 6
- After Albright took a 6-5 lead in the top of the seventh, five of Hood's six batters in the bottom half reached base to finish the sweep of the doubleheader.
- Leaman led off Hood's seventh with a single and moved to third on a double by Paugh. The Lions walked Gerenda to load the bases. With one out, Long singled to right field to drive in Leaman to tie the game. Collins worked a base on balls, allowing Paugh to come home for the winning run.
- Hood had tied the game in each of the previous two innings. Trailing 3-1 in the fifth, Paugh hit a two-run home run to score Leaman.
- The Lions scored twice in the sixth but the Blazers answered with a two-run double to straightaway center field to make it 5-5.
- Hood scored its first run in the bottom of the first. Erfurdt walked and scored when the Lions misplayed a single in the outfield for a 1-0 lead.
- Nora Harrison's solo homer tied the game in the second and Kelly Cembrale gave Albright the lead with a two-run double in the fourth.
- Collins tied the school record with three walks in the game. Erfurdt walked twice.
- Scott, Leaman, Paugh and Webster had two hits apiece. Paugh's both went for extra bases in the form a double and a home run. Webster also walked.
- Leaman pitched around 12 hits and a walk for the victory.
- Gerenda took the loss in relief. She allowed two runs in one inning of work. Sears started and went 5.1 innings. She gave up five runs on six hits and four walks.
- Courtney, Pomante and Brooke Yerger all had two hits.
- Hood improved to 15-15 overall and 6-6 in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth.
- Albright slipped to 12-15 and 5-9.
The Blazers will look to stay in the win column with a MAC Commonwealth doubleheader against Lycoming at home on Sunday, April 22 at 1 p.m.