FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College softball team split a Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader with the visiting Lycoming Warriors. Hood was able to take the opener by a score of 4-2 but fell 6-3 in game two.
Kayli Paugh led the Blazers with three hits on the day including a home run and pitched a complete game in the first game of the doubleheader. Kaitlin Barron added two hits on the day. Sophia Leaman also pitched a complete game for Hood.
Hood 4, Lycoming 2
- A two-run double by Paugh in the bottom of the fifth inning scored Kristen Scott and Kristy Erfurdt to break the tie and put the Blazers ahead 4-2.
- Scott went 2 for 2 with a walk and two runs.
- Hood took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Scott scored on a wild pitch.
- The Warriors knotted things up in the top of the third with an RBI single by Taylor Gessner that allowed Lydia Yorks to come around and score.
- The Blazers responded in the bottom half of the inning with a single to left center by Jasmine Webster that brought Leaman across to bump the lead to 2-1.
- Lycoming again evened things up in the top half of the fourth when Ashley Schoenstadt scored on a groundout by Cayla Treaster.
- Paugh scattered seven hits while striking out two to take the win.
- Rachael Shady pitched a complete game for the Warriors giving up six hits while striking out four.
- Gessner had two hits for the Warriors.
Lycoming 6, Hood 3
- The Warriors kicked off the scoring in the top of the first with a single by Schoenstadt that scored Madison Brown and Gessner.
- Paugh was able to come around and score for Hood in the bottom half of the second on a fielding error by the left fielder to cut the lead to 2-1.
- Lycoming used a sacrifice fly and an RBI single in the top of the sixth to stretch the lead to 4-1.
- Paugh countered with a long ball in the bottom half of the inning to get a run back for the Blazers.
- A two-run inning in the top of the seventh gave Lycoming a 6-2 advantage heading into the bottom half of the last inning.
- Alex Herschman was able to bring Barron across by way of a fielder's choice but the Blazers could get no closer.
- Leaman allowed nine hits over six and two-thirds while striking out five. Herschman struck out the only batter she faced.
- Liz Nace pitched a complete game for Lycoming, giving up four hits and striking out two on her way to the win.
- Schoenstadt had a three hit game while Gessner and Darci Warriner added two hits apiece.
- Hood moves to 16-16 on the year and 7-7 in conference play.
- Lycoming goes to 8-22 overall and 2-12 in the conference.
Hood travels to Gettysburg for a doubleheader on Thursday, April 26 at 3 p.m.