PLANT CITY, Fla. - Back-to-back doubles by Jules Baker and Maddie Walter in the bottom of the eighth inning gave the Hood College softball team a 9-8 victory over Emerson on the Blazers' spring break trip to Florida.
Inside the Box Score
- Cailyn Barthlow drove in five of Hood's nine runs in the game, going 2 for 4 with a double and a triple.
- Baker went 3 for 4 with a walk and scored twice.
- Walter was 2 for 5 and Kaitlin Barron scored two runs.
- Kiley Banks picked up the win in relief. She allowed one earned run in 3.2 innings, striking out four.
How it Happened
- The Blazers trailed 8-7 heading into the bottom of the eighth. With one out, Baker doubled to drive in Banks, who had started the inning on second base via the international tiebreaker, to tie the game. Walter then drove in Baker with a double for the game-winning run.
- In the top of the eighth, Lexi Semanchik had driven in international tiebreaker runner Morgan Mitchell to break a 7-7 tie.
- Hood rallied with four runs in the bottom of the seventh to force extra innings. Baker, Walter and Caitlin Gosline all singled to load the bases with no one out. Reliever Neely Eddleston entered and nearly escaped the jam before Barron walked with the bases loaded to make it 7-4. Barthlow followed with a bases-clearing double to tie the game.
- Barthlow doubled in Hood's first two runs of the evening, as well. In the second inning, she knocked in Barron and Jordan Specht to make it 2-0. Barthlow scored later in the inning for a three-run lead.
- Emerson scored six runs in the next two innings to take the lead, however. A two-run double by Lindsey Lowe in the third made it a one-run game. Micaela Dix scored on a wild pitch to tie the game in the fourth. Marisa DeFranco and Kallista Leonardos had RBI singles and Semanchik drove in a run with a sacrifice fly before the inning was over to make it 6-3.
- DeFranco went 4 for 5 and scored three times. Mitchell scored three runs.
- Neither starting pitcher factored in the decision. Emerson's Karagan Knowles and Hood's Madeline McBride each gave up six runs. Knowles went six innings, while McBride lasted 4.1.
- Eddleston took the loss for the Lions.
- The Blazers' first game of the day against Ohio Northern was canceled due to rain and this contest was delayed several hours for the same reason.
Hood, 2-0, will face Simmons and Heidelberg on March 7.