Posted: Apr 03, 2019
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Hood College softball team dropped both ends of a non-conference doubleheader at Catholic 2-1 and 10-5.
Inside the Box Scores
- Jules Baker drew five total walks on the day, including a school-record tying three in the second game.
- Katelyn Long went 3 for 4 between the two games.
- Caitlin Gosline was 4 for 6 with two multi-hit games.
- Kiley Banks pitched a complete game in the opener and allowed just two runs.
Catholic 2, Hood 1
- The Cardinals scored twice in the bottom of the seventh to erase a 1-0 lead for the Blazers.
- Bella Ronca led off the inning for Catholic with a single. After Taylor Forgen singled with one out, a Hood error allowed the tying run to score. Sabrina Scott followed with a walk-off single.
- The Blazers had scored in the third inning when Baker drew a one-out walk and scored on a double by Cailyn Barthlow to make it 1-0.
- Scott pitched a complete game four-hitter for Catholic. She walked five and struck out four.
- Banks pitched around 12 hits to allow just two hits over 6.1 innings. As a hitter, she had three hits.
- Gosline went 2 for 3. Baker walked twice.
Catholic 10, Hood 5
- Catholic broke the game open with a six-run second inning.
- The Cardinals scored once in the second inning before an RBI single from Gosline knocked in Jordan Specht to tie the game in the top of the third inning.
- Giselle Diaz led off the bottom of the third with a triple and Kacie Badolato knocked her in with a double to give CUA the lead. Makayla Czan and Juliet Lodes both had two-run singles in the inning as Catholic jumped out to a 7-1 lead.
- Both teams scored three runs in the fourth. After an error allowed Hood to score once, Barthlow hit a two-run single to knock in Madeline McBride and Angela Acampora to pull the Blazers within 7-4.
- Diaz, Badolato and Forgen each drove in runs in for Catholic in the bottom of the inning to put the game out of reach.
- Baker tied the single-game record with three bases on balls, held by several former Blazers. Long and Gosline had two hits apiece for Hood.
- McBride, who scored once and drove in a run as a hitter, took the loss. She allowed 10 runs in five innings.
- Forgen and Diaz both had three hits for Catholic.
Hood hosts Alvernia on Saturday, April 6 at 1 p.m.