FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Brandi Davidson threw the tying run out at home plate to preserve a 3-2 win in the second game of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader. Stevenson won the opener 4-0.
Inside the Box Scores
- Cailyn Barthlow went a combined 5 for 8 in the doubleheader with a double and an RBI.
- Jordan Specht finished 4 for 7 with a double and an RBI.
- Maddie Walter pitched both ends and has completed all 16 of her starts this year. In game one, she allowed three earned runs and scattered 10 hits. She pitched around 11 hits to hold Stevenson to two runs in the nightcap.
Stevenson 4, Hood 0
- Two errors by Hood opened the door to a three-run third inning. Haley Lennon had the only RBI hit of the inning, driving in the Mustangs' first run of the game.
- Stevenson put the game out of reach with an RBI single by Danielle Ebbighausen in the fifth.
- Barthlow went 3 for 4 to lead Hood.
- Specht and Kaitlin Barron had two hits apiece.
- Walter took the loss.
- Morghan Fulton pitched a shutout for the win.
- Alexandra DiGrande had three hits for the Mustangs.
Hood 3, Stevenson 2
- Hood trailed 2-1 in the sixth before taking the lead. Walter singled with one out and after the second out, Jules Baker singled to put runners on first and second. Run-scoring hits from Barthlow and Kaitlyn Long put Hood ahead 3-2.
- In the top of the seventh, the Mustangs had runners on first and second with two outs. Ebbighausen singled to centerfield where Davidson field the ball and threw out pinch-runner Gina D'Andrea trying to score from second to end the game.
- Both teams scored in the first inning. Erin Stephey hit a solo homer in the top of the inning to give Stevenson the lead. In the bottom half of the inning, Barthlow doubled and scored on a single by Specht to tie the game at 1-1.
- A base hit by Ebbighausen droved in Stephey in the fifth to put the Mustangs on top 2-1.
- Baker, Barthlow, Long, Specht and Walter had two hits apiece for the Blazers.
- Walter earned the win, while Stevenson's Haley Monahan took the loss. Both pitcher tossed complete games.
- Erin Muir had three hits for the Mustangs.
Hood heads to Arcadia on April 20.