FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball team nearly picked up the split on Senior Day before Widener escaped with a pair of wins on the Blazers' Senior Day in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play. The Pride captured game one 11-2 in six innings and came back for a 6-5 win in game two.
Inside the Box Scores
- Jules Baker went 3 for 6 over the two games with a double and three runs scored.
- Cailyn Barthlow was 3 for 7, homered and scored three times.
- Maddie Walter and Kiley Banks both pitched complete games but took the losses. Banks was 2 for 3 as a hitter in the second game.
Widener 11, Hood 2 (6 innings)
- Widener used a nine-run sixth inning to break the game open. Hood committed several errors in the inning and Widener's Carli Benozich capped the scoring with a three-run homer.
- Benovich also drove in a run during a two-run first inning for the Pride.
- Hood tied the game in the fourth with a pair of runs. Baker doubled and Barthlow singled to put a pair of runners on. Kaitlin Barron drove both runners in with a two-out, two-run single.
- After Widener scored twice in the first, Walter did not allow another hit before running into trouble in the sixth. The complete game was her 18th of the season.
- Widener's Kait Jaworski went the distance for the win.
Widener 6, Hood 5
- Lindsey Cooper hit a two-run home run with two outs in the top of the seventh to give Widener the sweep.
- Hood trailed 2-0 before Barthlow's first career homer tied the game in the third.
- Jasmine Webster gave Hood the lead with a double that drove in Baker, who also scored on Barthlow's homer, to make it 3-2 in the fifth. Katelyn Long added a sacrifice fly in the inning to stretch it to a two-run lead.
- After a two-run double by Mikaela Lovell tied the game in the top of the sixth, the Blazers reclaimed the lead, 5-4, on a run-scoring single by Caitlin Gosline.
- Baker, Barthlow, Specht and Banks all had two hits in the game.
- Banks pitched her sixth complete game of the year.
- Jaworski picked up her second win of the day in relief.
- Before the game, Hood honored seniors Barron, Maddy Collins, Long and Webster for their contributions to the program.
- The contests completed Hood's season.