READING, Pa. - The Hood College women's basketball team scored more points in each period to pull away from Alvernia 57-48 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action.
Inside the Box Score
- Mia Savoy had 16 points and 11 rebounds for her first double-double of the year. She went 3 of 6 on 3-point field goals and blocked two shots.
- Maggie Tien played all 40 minutes and finished with 13 points.
- Lauren Keeney came off the bench for a career-high six assists.
How it Happened
- Neither team mounted much offense in the first quarter. The Blazers trailed 9-4 before scoring five points in the final 37 seconds to tie the game on a 3-pointer by Keeney and a layup by Zara Whitfield to tie the game.
- The Golden Wolves built a 15-12 lead in the second quarter before an 8-0 by Hood. Tien's first 3-pointer of the day tied the game with six minutes left in the half. Two minutes later, Savoy knocked down a 3-point shot for the lead and a nice pass by Whitfield found Celestria Hill for a reverse layup and a 20-15 edge with 3:21 to go.
- Alvernia scored the final four points of the half to cut the Blazers' lead to 20-19.
- A bucket by Savoy to open the half extended the lead but the Golden Wolves scored the next nine points to take a 28-22 advantage with 4:52 to go in the third. Two 3-pointers by Savoy helped cut the deficit to 29-28 before another 3-pointer, this one by Tien, gave Hood a two-point lead with two minutes on the clock.
- After Torie Zerby tied the game, Tien hit a 3-pointer and a pull-up jumper for a 36-31 lead with 45 seconds left in the quarter.
- The Blazers led just 45-42 after a pair of free throws by Dej'hanee McNeal with 4:50 remaining in the game. Keeney found Savoy for an easy two at the other end and Tamiya Ford converted a put back on the next trip down the floor for a seven-point lead. Hood stretched the lead to as many as 10, 52-42, in the closing minutes.
- Hood scored 21 of its 57 points in the fourth quarter.
- Both teams struggled with shooting all afternoon. Hood shot 31 percent, one percentage point better than Alvernia.
- The Blazers, however, went 8 of 28 from 3-point range and held the Golden Wolves to just 2 of 11 behind the arc. Hood's defense forced Alvernia to miss its first eight 3-point attempts.
- Zerbe had 16 points and 12 rebounds for Alvernia. Erin Malin added 10 points.
- The victory gave Hood the season sweep over the Golden Wolves.
The Blazers host nationally ranked Messiah on Wednesday, January 23 at 6 p.m.