Posted: Nov 25, 2019
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - The Hood College women's basketball team defeated the Phoenix of Wilson College 79-53.
Inside the Box Score
- Mia Savoy and Morgan Anderson led the Blazers to victory, each with a double-double on the night.
- Savoy finished with 20 points and 13 rebounds, shooting 7-of-14 and 4-of-6 from 3-point range. Anderson recorded 14 points and 16 rebounds, shooting 5-of-13.
- Sarah Meiklejohn added three blocks and an assist off the bench.
- Destini Kelley recorded six rebounds, seven points, and a block.
How it Happened
- Anderson grabbed seven rebounds off the defensive glass in the first ten minutes of play. Three assists from Ebony Pitt and a 3-point shot by Rian Wright allowed the Blazers to take a 18-11 lead with eight seconds left in the first quarter.
- Savoy added seven points and two rebounds in the second quarter, with Meiklejohn recording two blocks. A layup made by Wilson's Samira Murphy in the last 15 seconds of the half brought the Phoenix to a nine-point deficit.
- Beginning with a free throw by Kelley, the Blazers went on a 11-2 run in the third quarter, capped off by a 3-point shot made by Lauren Keeney. Savoy added another 3-point shot to end the quarter with the Blazers leading 54-39.
- The Blazers went on another 13-3 run to start the fourth quarter, extending the lead to 69-41. A 3-point shot from Bridget Smith capped off the scoring for the Blazers with less than a minute left of play.
- The Blazers had 61 rebounds on the night - the most since December 2017 against Penn State Abington.
- Hood's strong defense held Wilson to 28 percent shooting.
- The win lifts the Blazers to 4-1 on the season, while the Phoenix dropped to 1-3.
- Murphy added 11 points, three rebounds, and a block while Jordyn Day recorded 12 points.
Hood travels to Marymount on December 2 at 6 p.m.