FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Elena Zinaich became the Blazers' all-time leader in kills in a five-set victory over Eastern Mennonite.
- Hood won 22-25, 25-15, 13-25, 25-21, 15-8.
Inside the Box Score
- Zinaich had 20 kills on the evening to end the night with exactly 1200 kills, surpassing the old record of 1191 by Jenni Ferris (1998-01). Zinaich also had five blocks.
- Renee Reus turned in a career-high 35 digs, the most for a Blazer since the 2009 season and tied for the fifth-best single match total.
- Payton Belella finished with a season-high 46 assists, tied for seventh in a match all-time at Hood. The senior added 13 digs.
- Tailyn Kite had 14 kills and three service aces.
How it Happened
- Zinaich picked up her record-setting kill in the third set but the Royals took a 2-1 lead with the win in that frame.
- EMU had captured the first set before Hood evened it up with a strong performance in the second set. Kite had three kills during a 5-1 run to open set number two. Hood led 20-15 and used a pair of block assists to power a 5-0 run to even the match. Zinaich and Taylor Schaefer picked up a block to make it 21-15 and Schaefer teamed with Courtney Hutchinson on a block to make it 24-15. Hutchinson finished off the set with one of her eight kills on the evening.
- After winning the fourth set extend the match, Hood started the fifth set much the same as the second with a 5-1 run. Zinaich had two kills in the run before the Royals came back to pull within 8-7 on a kill by Meredith Stinnette. Another kill by Zinaich started a 7-1 run to end the set and the match.
- Hannah Johnson had 19 kills and 13 digs.
- Stinnette added 11 kills.
- Carley Gingerich dished out 32 assists.
Hood travels to Dover, Delaware for a tri-match against Wesley and Cairn.